Monday, January 28, 2008

October 21, 1943





Dearest Marie and Patsy,





Received letter with proofs of Patsy dated the 27th of sept and a letter dated the 26th of Sept. and a V mail dated October 9th yesterday. Today I received a V mail dated October 11. Must be you skipped Sunday. I skipped yesterday on the letter deal because I went to town but I made up for it by shipping a large package of gifts to you. Don't know how you will like them but I hope they appeal to you. But I will tell you about them in the course of this letter.


We arrived in town about 2 o'clock in the afternoon and after having a bite to eat in the officer's club, I left the rest of the officers and went to visit the Cathedral of Joan of Arc. You know, or course, that Joan of Arc is the patron Saint of France. As one approaches the cathedral they will see the large goden statue of the saint perched upon a golden horse. She is clothed in armor and has a shield and lance. This statue is situated in a small park which is located directly in front of the cathedral proper. The cathedral towers high above the park--49 steps up by actual count. The front of the building itself is in the form of a great arch which is decorated by pictures of the Blessed Trinity on the very top and angels on each side along the sides of the arch. All these representations are done in colored tile work and contrast beautifully against the sand color of the building itself. A beautiful iron fence, with gates for entrance to each of the five doors, contrasts against the pastel colors of the arch and light brown doors.


As one enters the church, the eye is met with a large stone altar which is fenced off from the resst of the church and is raised up from the floor by about two feet. Instead of the kneeling benches and seats, there are straight back chairs and a few kneelers in fromt. As you approach the altar, the rich upolhstering of the chairs within the sanctuary are visible and the red plush stands out brilliantly. Hand carved furniture is much in evidence. The floor is covered by a beautiful oriental rug of a multicolored patern (similar to the rug I am sending you). Oddly enough several little boys, obviously altar boys, dressed in red cassocks and white surplus and set off by a red cardinal's hat, were whispering and talking near the front of the church. In rear of the altar was a beautiful grotto and altar set within that grotto, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. Flowers of all kinds were there in decoration. Numerous marble thanksgivings were hung on the wall around the structure with the words "Merci, Marie" (thank you Mary) or "Remembrance Mary".

I left the church after about forty minutes of looking and praying and walked out into the crowded and busy streets. An old Arab in his flowing white garments looked apprehensively at me and an ancient streetcar clattered by. Army vechiles roared passed and on the corner a French policemnan whistled at the traffic like our cops at home.

As I walked down the crowded streets window shopping I stopped occasionally and looked into a window here and there.
Finally I found a French jewlery store and, of course, you kow that I can't resist that kind of a store. On going in, I foundthat the jewlery was all in the window and they had may interesting ink drawings, oils and watercolors. after much deliberation i purchased the view of the old fort in the city as you will see when you get the package. then I asked for a silver braclet that I saw in the window. It is a beautiful piece of hand worked silver. Pure sterling hammered into the design by native craftsmaen.

After all that shopping I again returned to the officer's club, had a bite to eat and again met the rest of the officers. After a short time we attended a show put on by a group of army boys entitled "10 minute Break". It was a musical comedy and was very amusing.

Well, honey, it is hard to even attempt to give you a hundred percent description of these things, but I am sure you will at least have some idea of them. This all would be so much more enjoyable if we were seeing it together and the world was not at war. but when this wr ends, I will be happy just to stay with you and love you dearly. I still miss you terribly and hope you miss me. Don't worry and don't dye your hair.
Closing now with loads of love and kisses.

Your loving husband John

No comments: